STP driver installation
At startup STP checks whether ‘a’ Silabs VCP driver is installed. If no driver is installed, STP will ask you to install a driver first.
The Silabs VCP driver should be installed before a Streamit device (SIR, Lukas, SAS) via USB is connected.
There are 2 options to install the CP201x USB to UART Bridge Driver:
- Install first Lisa Configuration Tool (LCT) and then install the STP program.
If LCT is installed then also automatich the correct driver will be installed.
- Goto the Silicon Labs website for downloading the driver:
After installation of the driver the Streamit device can be connected via USB.
If a Silabs driver was already installed, STP does not know whether it is the driver it installed itself, or was installed by the user or MS Windows.
After the driver check is passed, STP checks for the connected devices. This requires certain information to be available from the driver registration. Only when the correct driver is installed (the one STP initiates by itself), you can guarantee that the correct information is available. In other cases you would get an error (401). Without the driver properly installed, no devices can be found; this will trigger a warning (203).
STP will install everything it requires by itself, including the driver. However, you _MUST_ make sure that you do not allow windows to automatically install the driver for you.
If you had connected the USB before STP was installed, then windows might have installed ‘a’ driver (or asked you if it could do so).
Therefore first STP must be installed and then the USB driver before the Streamit device (Lukas, SIR) is connected.
If the wrong driver is installed then next steps can be taken:
- disconnect USB connection between pc and Streamit device (remove USB cable)
- switch off STP program
- remove USB driver, goto remove software in configuration panel. Search for “Silicon Laboratories CP210X USB to UART Bridge” or simular name and remove this software.
- start STP program again. It will search now for the driver. Stop the STP program and install the correct driver (C:/programfiles/streamit/STP/VCPdriver/)
- restart STP program and it will ask to connect the device. The installation for the USB driver is finished now. See also STP installation manual (available in STP program)
On a Windows 7 PC, if for some reason STP is not able to start the driver installation, then it is possible to start this manually.
- Go to the STP installation folder and find the VCP driver for Windows 7. This is an executable file called CP210xVCPInstaller.exe (e.g. C:\Program Files (x86)\Streamit\STP\VCPdriver\Windows7\CP210xVCPInstaller.exe). The Windows 7 driver delivered with STP, is version 5.4.24.
- Start STP program again and follow the steps for installation of the correct driver.